How to Paint an Ombre Wall

Ombre is a blending of colors to create a fading effect. When talking interior paints, it’s basically blending 2 or more colors on a wall. The ombre look starts with the lightest color at the top, which blends into the medium value color, which blends into the darkest hue at the bottom of the wall. It’s like horizontal stripes, but without the hard lines.

Ombre #7 logo

Ombre is best applied on a single accent wall. Colors that have less contrast blend more easily and create the best results.

Here’s how to do it:

1. Tape off area to ombre.

Ombre #1

2. With a level and pencil, draw a line where you want the colors to fade into each other. You will be creating wide, horizontal stripes. In this project, the Colorhouse colors used from lightest to darkest are: AIR .05, WATER .01, THRIVE .04, and DREAM .05.

3. Roll out colors, stopping 3” on each side of the level line, leaving 6” between the two colors.

Ombre #3

Ombre #3 too

4. To create the blended effect, dip 4” brush – half in one color and half in the 2nd color of the stripes you want to connect.

Ombre #4

5. Brush back and forth blending the two colors – brush quickly, as paint dries fast!

Ombre #5

6. Repeat for every 2 colors you want to blend.

Ombre #6

Ombre #6 too

7. Finishing touches! You may need to go back with a clean brush to touch up on either side of the blended area for any paint that got underneath the tape.

Tips:
Works best in 5’ sections at a time.
Use similar colors overall for easiest blending
Use colors with low contrast next to each other
And most importantly….Have fun!

Explore all Colorhouse hues and find the perfect colors for your own ombre wall! Colorhouse premium paints have no VOCs, no toxic fumes/HAPs-free, no reproductive toxins and no chemical solvents!

This entry was posted in Art, Color, Green Living, Home Decor and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to How to Paint an Ombre Wall

1. Sam @ DIY Huntress says:

I love this project so much! This is awesome!

Sam @ DIY Huntress

• Janie Lowe says:

Thanks Sam! Feel free to use it in your blog if you would like. If you do, please mention Colorhouse paint!:)

2. Pingback: Paint an Ombre Wall from Colorhouse – DIY | NelaHomes

3. Interioridea says:

wow!! This tip is cool!

4. Simona Ion says:

I have to try this!

5. Deneece says:

Thank you for taking the time to post this artistic technique. It is the simple things in life that add quality and style to our lives.

6. Abbie Assuncion says:

This is perfect for my plan this weekend. I was planning to paint my room but I’m having a hard time choosing the color I want.

7. Linda plants says:

Would love to try. I am wondering about the top sections drying before you get back up the wall to blend. Should I start blending at the top. Directions showed starting at bottom and working up. Also if I work in 5ft sections across the wall won’t the start and stop edges show. They will b dry and unbend able. I love the look, but I am trying to visualize the process and can’t see how working in 5ft sections will give me the look of soft blending. Any suggestions?

• Janie Lowe says:

Hi Linda,
      Thanks for your question. Painting the unblended sections should be done first, while leaving the edges to blend later, because you’re right, it will dry too fast. It doesn’t matter if you start at the bottom or top. You should choose a smaller area or accent wall, unless you have help. Blending before drying is the biggest challenge, so don’t bite off more than you can chew!:)

8. Linda plants says:

This would also look cool on a piece of furniture. More workable size. I think I could handle the process better.