COLOR YOUR LIFE – Guest Blogger Week: Glassybaby

Welcome to COLOR YOUR LIFE – Guest Blogger week! We have invited 5 vibrant contributors to the YOLO Colorhouse blog to write about how color inspires the creative work they do and beautifies the world we live in. Today’s guest blogger: Marissa Brooks, Art Director at glassybaby.

Comment on this blog to make a $1 donation to glassybaby’s non-profit of choice, The Nick Wilson Charitable Group — a non-profit that provides compassionate financial support to children and their families undergoing cancer treatment.

——–

Marissa Brooks is the art director at glassybaby. Marissa’s background in visual arts and design helps her oversee all color selection for glassybaby marketing and store merchandising. glassybaby are hand blown candle holders created by artists in 400+ colors. The company was founded by a three-time cancer survivor who found great healing in the color and light of a lit, handmade candleholder. The company has donated more than $1.3 million dollars from sales to charities dedicated to healing. It takes four artists to create each glassybaby at a Seattle studio and they bring color and light to people all over the world.

We use color as a language at glassybaby. Color is a language we can all speak regardless of where we come from. Words can sometimes be hard to find, so color becomes a solution.

As art director at glassybaby, I am inspired by this colorful language every day. Whether I’m creating a vibrant color palette for our road shows, or finding a soothing color for a quiet space, I love how the simple use of color can write that story. I’m inspired by the way a table full of glassybaby color can bring life to an entire room. Conversations are sparked, stories are told, and favorite colors are pointed out. Color is cherished for the emotional connection it instantly creates. But I also love how a single color, just one glassybaby, can create an overwhelming calm when I need it the most. Just the other day a customer emailed me a picture of her ‘peter pan’ glassybaby. She mentioned specifically how it helps her “relax on cloudy days when reading”. I love this part of my job because I get to hear stories from people all the time about how they connect with their glassybaby color.

The glassybaby founder was fighting cancer when she first dropped a tea light into a hand blown, colorful cup. She describes that moment as magical. She hired glass artists to create more and began lighting glassybaby everyday. That color and light helped her heal. Whether I’m looking for healing or just a perfect color in a fabulous space, both make me smile, both inspire me.

The possibilities are endless, just like our stories. We talk to our community with color; we connect to each unique story, sometimes without having to say a single word. It’s simply the power of glassybaby color. This video shares that power:

As we turn the corner into spring, I am naturally drawn to soft pastels; colors that make me think of spring buds and a time for renewal.

The YOLO Colorhouse colors SPROUT .04, SPROUT .05, SPROUT .06, and SPROUT .07 happen to match perfectly with one of my favorite images of glassybaby for spring.

- Marissa Brooks

For more inspiring images from glassybaby, visit our Color Your Life Pinterest board!

This entry was posted in Art, Color, Home Decor and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to COLOR YOUR LIFE – Guest Blogger Week: Glassybaby

1. Michelle says:

so inspiring!

2. Brianna Gorham says:

How wonderful Marissa! Your work at glassybaby is so inspiring!

3. brittany says:

I love the spring colors! Beautiful and fresh!

4. Mary Weglin says:

Color is an instant mood-lifter. Thank you for your inspiring words, Marissa!

5. valerie says:

Thank you YOLO Colorhouse for supporting such a wonderful charity! Nick Wilson Charitable Group has a touching mission. Thank you also for sharing the power of color.

6. Marissa says:

Thank you everyone for your comments and support for a charity near and dear to our hearts. And thank you YOLO Colorhouse for sharing the power of color with your community. Your work inspires us! xo

7. pam says:

Thank you for sharing! It must be a wonderful place to work.

8. Lori says:

Thank you for the wonderful information about the Nick Wilson Charitable Group and Glassy Baby!!!!

9. Jill says:

Thank you YOLO Colorhouse for your gift of color and generous support of the Nick Wilson Charitable Group. Community is what makes a powerful difference in all of our lives, and we thank you for your part in that!

10. Melissa says:

Love, love, love glassybaby! I love the warmth, the beauty, and the serenity they bring! Thank you for all you do glassybaby!

11. Dj says:

I first came upon Glassybabys when they were at Green Lake. They have always made me smile and feel good. I love what they do to help others with life’s challenges, thank you!

12. Jayne Dearborn says:

We love Glassbaby candle holders and the story behind them…we own some of these beautiful pieces. And of course love Jill Metz and the Nick Wilson Charitable Group. Goodness through and through. THanks Glassbaby for donating to such important causes.

Jayne Dearborn
    Co-Founder, Blue Butterfly Campaign

13. Amy Kenagy says:

Love NWCG! A great cause indeed!

14. Beth Stokes says:

Beautiful crisp Spring colors! They’re all uplifting & inspiring!
    … And I really admire your support of Nick Wilson Charities!

15. Patty W says:

this is fantastic! Thanks for supporting NWCG!

16. Ceci Usher says:

Just when I thought they had used all the colors of the rainbow – they come out with these beautiful cheerful Spring colors. Great talent! Thanks for sharing with the community, especially NWCG!

17. Carolyn Stewart says:

I love Glassbaby!! And, I love Jill Metz and NWCG!! Thank you for supporting her cause!!!

18. Lisa Hill says:

Glassybaby, your story and art is so inspiring! Thank you!

19. Vicki Simon says:

This is such an inspiring article. I love glassybabies. The founder is a special woman who I got to know when I lived in Seattle. Please tell her hello from Vicki, the rug lady.

20. peter says:

i like the colors, very calming and therapeutic