COLOR YOUR LIFE – Guest Blogger Leela Cyd Ross

Congrats to Kim Holmberg, winner of Wednesday’s COLOR YOUR LIFE kit! Kim, you will receive an email from us shortly. Thank you everyone for your comments, we are sending $100 to Planned Parenthood! Keep checking back, there are more chances to win all week!

Welcome to COLOR YOUR LIFE – Guest Blogger week! We have invited 5 vibrant contributors to the YOLO Colorhouse blog to write about how color inspires the creative work they do and beautifies the world we live in. Today’s guest blogger: Leela Cyd Ross, photographer/Apartment Therapy Photo Editor.

Comment on Leela’s blog for your chance to win a COLOR YOUR LIFE Kit – 1 gal of YOLO Colorhouse paint, set of YOLO Colorhouse fan decks,  and a 100% organic cotton canvas YOLO tote.  Your comment also counts as a $1 donation to Leela’s non-profit of choice, Planned Parenthood, a national organization that provides comprehensive reproductive and complementary health care services.

- – - – - -

Leela Cyd Ross is a photographer based in Portland, Oregon and Los Angeles, California. She’s also Apartment Therapy‘s Photo Editor, where she blogs about photography at the Super Photo Magic School.  You can view her work at LeelaCyd.com and read her blog at LeelaCyd.blogspot.com.

YAY for COLOR!  As a photographer primarily with people, food and interiors as my subjects, I am constantly looking out for color. For me, color is an added dimension to the within composition and it is a major story teller. Whether I’m setting up a plate of pasta with bright green peas against a contrasting orange backdrop or seeking out a bright neon pink object to include in a rather plain vignette in someone’s home, color is the thing that breathes life into a photograph.

Leela Cyd Ross - LeelaCyd.com

IMAGINE .02
SPROUT .06

Leela Cyd Ross - LeelaCyd.com

CREATE .04
DREAM .03

Lately I’ve been inspired by neutral walls and furniture, with brightly colored accessories. I first started to see this color story within the pages of Swedish design books many years ago and it’s been interesting to see this palette trickle and morph throughout different countries and homeowners’ aesthetics. Light neutrals and whites such as IMAGINE .02 are a great base, providing a feeling of spaciousness and calm. With the addition of bright, fun colors such as CREATE .04, DREAM .03 and SPROUT .06, in accessories, accent walls or smaller pieces, you can create an ongoing, evolving look. I love low-commitment, happy colors, in my photo work and in my home.

Leela Cyd Ross - LeelaCyd.com

IMAGINE .01
CLAY .05

Leela Cyd Ross - LeelaCyd.com

CREATE .01
PETAL .07

Let me know how color inspires your daily life in the comments below — each comment counts as a $1 donation to my non-profit of choice (up to $100), Planned Parenthood, and enters you to win a COLOR YOUR LIFE kit!

- Leela Cyd Ross

For more inspiring images from Leela Cyd Ross, visit our COLOR YOUR LIFE Pinterest board!

COLOR YOUR LIFE Kit: 1 gal of YOLO Colorhouse paint, set of YOLO Colorhouse fan decks, and a 100% organic cotton canvas YOLO tote

This entry was posted in Art, Color, Green Living, Home Decor, Portland, OR and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to COLOR YOUR LIFE – Guest Blogger Leela Cyd Ross

1. April says:

I love the stack of paper, it reminds me of the stacks of cool and warm colored fabric in my craft room. Just looking at those rainbows of colors can inspire me, even if I don’t have enough time to do anything with them at the moment.

2. Loreen Haynes says:

Here is a piece I wrote about how find color in my life and my home…paint chips & photo’s of things I love..plus I went to hear Candice Olson (HGTV) and won a lunch with her too!

3. Deb says:

I’m particularly fond of the playfulness of color- like the context of color: the way one color could blend or pop out depending on its setting. Or maybe I just like playing, and color is fun to play with!

4. Joyce says:

I love the mix of relaxing soothing colors and fun vibrant ones! Yolo has the perfect color for all settings!

5. Kim Holmberg says:

Color is not only important visually, but emotionally as well!!

6. Heather says:

The Create & Petal color picture reminds me of my art room! I think color is creative, relaxing, and fun. It allows us to express ourselves in aesthetically pleasing ways. I agree with the blogger that neutral backgrounds (like walls and furniture) can be really fun to add color and accents to to create an interesting room or palette

7. Kim Holmberg says:

Color is important not only visually, but emotionally as well !! The right color completely defines the space!!

8. Michelle says:

Colors inspire me to hope. Even really dark, dirty-looking shades have a certain beauty to them; the dingiest, most beaten up blue-ish grey can be as perfect as the most vibrant red. Colors inspire me to remember that beauty isn’t confined to happy moments. :)

9. Erin says:

Lovely!

10. Becky says:

I love how color invokes different moods and therefore effects my daily life. It is also nice to have different colors in different rooms to have little havens in all parts of your home.

11. sioux says:

if a color makes me happy to look at it, i want it in my room. a wall (or 4), the rug, a chair. or as an accent in little bits all over. happy is good.

12. Michelle says:

I am a color addict – right now what I call “candy colors” are just calling to me. Inspiring me to paint everything a bright color.

13. Lisa says:

Love the colorful stack of paper…thought they were ribbons at first!

14. kim clements says:

Leela,
    I really like the way you painted your tub sprout .06, it gives an already charming tub even more personality and I love the way you weren’t afraid to do so. Color is very important to me as I love, have schooled and worked in Interior Design. Color can change your attitude from energetic to relaxed and vice versa.
    Thanks for sharing with us.